Animal-assisted or pet therapy is recognized as a supportive modality for treatment that is being increasingly incorporated with therapy for cancer patients. According to numerous studies and articles, visiting with therapy animals can:
- Reduce stress-induced symptoms
- Alleviate feeling of loneliness and depression
- Provide distraction from pain and treatment
- Foster an individual’s nurturing instinct
- Create a safe and accepting environment
- Offer entertainment
Therapy animals provide a constant sense of support, understanding, and focus for positive attention.
All teams (handler and dog) are registered by one of several therapy dog organizations (Therapy Dogs Inc, Therapy Dogs International or Delta Society). All dogs have up to date health records. Pet therapy visits are shown on our monthly calendar.